<>  HOME  <>  JOURNAL  <>  DOCUMENTS  <>

From the full version of Sunnyside's Lousy Book

Catch Twenty Two

Cash on hand was the answer. So on the morning of my superior court date, the stressful situation had me in desperation. I decided to call my patent attorney to find out if the patent application was finished or not. If it wasn't, I decided I would go after the retainer money.
      I called the patent attorney in Seattle and he told me it wasn't finished yet. I informed him that I had been busted for possession of a felony amount of marijuana and I needed the retainer money for my expenses during the time I might spend in jail. I let him know I was on my way up to his office to pick up the retainer that very morning.
      I parked in the underground parking garage below the Columbia Building where the law firm was located. As I approached the first of three elevators I would have to take to get to the office of the law firm, I came upon a man and a woman who were waiting for the same elevator I needed to use to get up to the main lobby. I heard the woman say, "I guess he's been living like a musician." Then there was some mumbling from the guy who had his back towards me. Then she said something in return and he responded with, "A patent isn't going to do him any good while sitting in prison anyway."
      Although the office building was in Seattle and over thirty five miles from Tacoma, the environment was quite similar to the conditions I’d experienced at the County City Building in Tacoma. The place was setup to give me the impression that I was quite popular. I heard remarks from a number of people as I walked through the building's various lobbies to reach the various elevators. I heard things like, "He's come to get his money back.” “He threw it away," spoken with chuckling type laughter. I realize that they would only say things when wasn't looking at them. As I walked through the building, I scanned the areas and took in account people who looked suspicious; people who appeared to be just standing around. As soon as I would pass them, they’d say their lines and by the distance as well as direction the voices came from I’d confirm my predictions of just which of the people standing around were staked out for me. I was amazed at how many people they had working for them and at first I tried to tell myself I was imagining it, but since I had experienced the same sort of thing in the County City Building back in Tacoma, I realized it why it takes a strong person to handle the type of heat a person in my position has to endure.
      I was taking into account the people I suspected as being the set-up people because I was expecting to see them again in Tacoma at the court house. I was looking for familiar faces, but then I realized that the amount of people it would take to do such a thing could be minimized with the use of wigs, makeup, and eyeglasses. The whole experience answered the question as to why the court appointed attorney was interested in who my patent lawyer was on a Sunday afternoon.
      I'm sure their intention for working over the Columbia Office Tower in Seattle was to try to trick me into telling my lawyer I'd given up on the idea of trying to get patents on my inventions.
      When I met with the patent attorney, I expressed how sorry I was for being as naive I was as to the way things could turn out. I don't think I ever mentioned the fire or the conspiracy to him because I was afraid he would be reluctant to work for me if he had known. I apologized and said that I had to put things on hold for awhile until I got through the pending court proceedings.
      Though the seven hundred dollars for the patent search had been agreed upon, the $1900.00 he charged for his unfinished services surprised me. I felt I was being taken advantage of, but there wasn't much I could do about it. They had my money and all I could do was ask for it back. The important thing for me at the time was that I had come up with $3,000.00 to pay my bills with if I was to spend time in jail.
      Another strange thing about that morning was what the attorney had told me. He said that if people knew of my invention, I had only a year to file for a patent. He said the time frame would start from the time I had my invention working and the bugs worked out of it. Well I know patent laws a little better now and I would say he was miss-leading me.
      I've learned the time doesn't start ticking until I make the invention public myself, that is by having it in public use, sale it to the public or publish such inventions in magazines, news-papers or trade shows. (Some countries don't even consider trade shows as "public," but go by the bill of sale as making it public.)
      The standard rule you should consider when inventing is: If a person goes public with an invention, they have a year to file for a U.S. patent, but they'll lose the ability to file for patents in foreign countries. If a person wants to file for foreign patents, they must file for a patent in the U.S. or the desired foreign countries before going public with the invention.
      There is a regulation that says: Once you file for a patent in the U.S., you have a one year to file for patents in foreign countries. Or if you file in a foreign country first, you have a year to file in the U.S.

Private inventors, please take this as a warning:

Basically, it's best to file somewhere before you go public. If you don’t you may be able sell one or make it public by publishing something about it, but -- you’ll find your ass in the poor house, and you won't be able to come up with the money to file within a year. Also you’d have to kiss good-bye to the idea of getting foreign patents and there’s a very good chance corporations would have you snuffed out.
      I've often wondered if my patent attorney suspected that some heat would come down on me because of the way the GATT treaty changed the patent laws. I have a strong hunch that he did because of the way his voice sounded when he told me it was very important not to show it to anyone when we first met. I think he was reluctant to tell me that the corporate industries would come down on me. I bet he figured I would end up dead before he had the application filed.
      Since I was being spied upon by the city while I was building my truck in my back yard; I couldn't of help matters much if people knew about my invention. I probably didn't get any farther than the simple sketches before the local government knew about it.

The deal is: whether the city was spying on me and exploiting it has no bearing upon whether it was to be considered public of not. Having it exploited isn't a good idea when many foreign countries have first to file priority rules. However if I lost patent rights in foreign countries because of the exploitation caused by the conspiracy, you can bet the government owes me for the loss of profits. As a result of the game the local government played on me, I was pressured into filing as soon as I could before I had financial backing to file in more foreign countries than I did.

The conspirators made efforts to keep me broke by rigging my phone and spreading phony rumors to interfere with any financial help I would have been able to get. If the city would have paid me for the fire, I would have built my truck in a secure enclosed warehouse and it would have never been on the street until all the appropriate patent applications were filed. The same goes for all my other inventions. I would’ve filed on all of the inventions before taking them anywhere outside a private and secure warehouse and there would have been no loss of foreign patent rights.
      However; with the conspiracy at hand, I could not have pulled it off if I would have built my proto-type in an enclosed private shop. Reason being is that the mayor, Doug Sutherland and his comrades would've been the only ones to know about my inventions. I bet Doug Sutherland would have had me killed in a heartbeat. I’m sure they didn’t take the thought of me building it by myself very seriously until they discovered I was building it inside the shell of my house. By then I had most of the components and the reduction of practice. I bet the day I drove my truck out of my yard with my system on the back, was a day Dougee Boy and his comrades were shitting bricks.

Sounds like the city should have just paid me for the fire doesn't it? Yeah, things would have been a little different. I’m sure they would have had me sign a gag order to get the money but then I still would have had Affirmative Action watching every move I made to make sure the story wouldn't have gone anywhere.

The way I look at it all, is that when I look outside, in the parking lot and in the street. I don't see any 200 mile per gallon carburetors on any of the vehicles. But I do see something which means a whole lot more to any construction worker. And I'm very proud that -- it is there -- because of me.

The next chapter of Sunnyside's Lousy Book is:

The Court Appointed
Not available yet.

Have you seen the otherBook Excerpts?


> Burning Down the House
> Sunnyside's Lousy Book
> Sunnyside - Good Things
> Stalking Buffy
> Book History
> What Celebirties say
> Book Excerpts
> Site Map
> Rule No. 1-15
> Rule No. 16-39
> Rule No. 40-66
> Rule No. 70-100


Featured chapter prior to

Catch Twenty Two

Got to find a job







My Synchro-link truck
is a whole fleet of trucks in one
Check it out at







© Copyright 2006. All rights reserved. Sunnyside Sattler